- Ensure tools are clean and dry to minimize the chance of rusting, and remove any old rust prior to storing for long periods of time.
- If you use specific tools at particular worksites, try colour-coding the tools according to the worksite to allow for easy identification and inventory control.
- Remove all fuel from lawnmowers and other gas-operated equipment such as chainsaws, power washers and generators. For the safety of our customers, employees and emergency response personnel, we do not allow any fuel or gas canisters to be stored at our sites.
At the storage centre
- Maximize your storage space by bundling long-handled tools (e.g. shovels) and leaning them against the wall or placing them in a storage container. Smaller hand-tools can be packed in sturdy plastic containers or placed on free-standing shelves within the unit.
- Do not attach any shelving or devices to the walls, floor or ceiling of your unit.
- Do not plug your tools, battery packs or any other equipment into the building’s electrical outlets.
- Protect the floor of your unit from oil, grease and other stains with heavy drop cloths or a similar material.
- Never store hazardous, toxic or radioactive goods, biological agents or flammable materials and liquids.
- Never store pollutants, contaminated goods, asbestos or other materials of a potentially dangerous nature.